Tuesday 21 June 2011

iGoogle

I set up my iGoogle start page yesterday. I have news feeds from two papers, the weather report, and a daily Oscar Wilde epigram. And briefly a copy of Space Invaders. I was happy with the 'Classic' theme, but Margot told me I was boring and made me look for one more distinctive. I ended up with a photograph of boats moored at Port Said.

I understand what iGoogle is now. I'd expected to be able to add any site with an RSS feed to my page. In fact, you assemble your page from purpose-built applications: gadgets. It's another Google product, Reader, that works with feeds.

Playing Space Invaders at work reminded me that the PC games I played as a boy sometimes had boss keys. The boss key would pause the game and display a spreadsheet (that is, while your boss walked past). Of course on a modern windowing machine you just hit Alt, Tab. I would imagine.

1 comment:

Annie Gleeson said...

Hi Neil, glad to have you taking part in Cam23 2.0! Thanks to a long weekend in Manchester I'm behind *already* but will be blogging about iGoogle tonight. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of iGoogle and its gadgets, but I'll try my best to be open minded!