Friday 24 June 2011

Blogger, continued

It's certainly easy to open a blog with Blogger, but I had some trouble making mine look the way I wanted. Too many things, I found, were locked down behind the Template Designer interface. For example, I didn't want the background gradients at the edge of the text area that came with the first 'Simple' template, and it took several minutes to realise I was supposed to express this by choosing a different template.

Neither did Template Designer give me control over the text size, or font properties other than colour, to apply to the blog description. It didn't give me control over the text size to apply to date headers. And I couldn't have my blog title appear in capitals (which seemed important). On the other hand, you're free to edit the HTML template, where I could do these things.

2 comments:

Annie Gleeson said...

In the Advanced tab of the Template Designer you can change font properties for some things but not others, I've found that a bit frustrating in the past too.

However the other blog platforms I've tried (Tumblr and Posterous) seem to be even less customisable so I like Blogger the most so far on that front! Haven't tried Wordpress or Typepad yet so don't know if they may be better at that.

Anyway, welcome to Cam23 2.0! :)

Katie Birkwood said...

I agree 100% that the template designer in Blogger is often locked down just where you'd like to be able to change things. Still, it's better (and the standard templates are better) than it used to be. I like the look of your blog - simple and clear without being bland.